All About Picking the Right Montessori School for Your Child
The Montessori education is a one distinctive way to teach students from the early days of their life. It was created by Dr. Maria Montessori in the early 1900s.
While choosing the Montessori school for your kid, be prepared to put some profound thought and research. Because no two schools are identical, irrespective of whether they use a Montessori approach or traditional education method. Also, though most Montessori preschools follow the same Montessori pattern, some schools use the principles more comprehensively than others.
With that in mind, what exactly one should look for while selecting a Montessori preschool for their child (ren). Read on to know.
Tips for choosing the right Montessori School
You have decided to admit your child in a Montessori school, that’s a good decision! There are plenty of good reasons to pick Montessori preschool for your child. However, your work doesn’t ends here. You’ve still got to pick the right one for your baby. Unfortunately every second school claim to be ‘Montessori,’ but not all are real. So, it’s up to the parents to find out the right school.
What should a parent look for in a good Montessori preschool? Here are the characteristic you should look for:
- Observe the classroom – With classroom we mean everything and each person in the classroom – students, teacher and the room itself.
- Classroom: Ensure the room is clean, organized and well stocked with the Montessori essentials. The classroom should be visually pleasing for the environment to be stimulating and striking. Not just that, it should also have child-sized furnishings and playing items. Also, check whether the Montessori material is made up of natural elements viz. Wood, glass, or metal. If all of these are in place, move to the next.
- Children/students: Check if the children look happy in the school while working independently or in small groups. One of the most important thing you should look for is whether the students talk to each other and adults respectfully. If you are contented with what you have observed, go to the next level.
- Teachers: Keep a check on teacher’s behavior and way of teaching. You should also check if the teacher is encouraging and guiding children as they work individually, is she taking note of every child’s development.
- Ask questions – While choosing the Montessori school, it is utmost important to ask some questions about the school like:
- What’s the classroom schedule?
- Are the children encouraged to do what they like for their development?
- Do children get homework?
- Does the school practise standardized testing?
- Is the staff approachable and knowledgeable?
- What is teacher’s qualification?
Furthermore, you can add your questions to the list.
- Believe your instincts – Did you feel comfortable with the classroom environment and teachers? Was your child happy being there? If your answer is YES! Go ahead with your choice. Because, as a parent you’ll always think and take best decision for your child.
Good luck with your search!