Tips to Choose Age-Appropriate Books for Kids in Child Care
Selecting good books for kids in child care will put them on the road to learning, develop their vocabulary, build language skills and ignite their curiosity about the world. Child care providers can introduce preschoolers to reading by picking books that is in sync with their age and interests. There are books available for kids of all age group. As they grow, age-specific books will help them develop love towards reading, improve their vocabulary and boost their writing.
Here are some basic tips child care providers should follow when selecting books for infants, toddlers and preschoolers.
How to Choose Books for Kids in Child Care?
Choosing books for children is not an easy task, because every child have their own preferences – Some might be inclined towards colorful picture books, while others may enjoy stories with happy endings etc. Here is the guide with great tips for choosing children’s books that are right for them.
Infants and Toddlers
- Tiny tots are are attracted towards bright colored books with images of simple objects
- They love photo books with images that are familiar to them like dogs, cats, birds, babies and toys
- Books that have photos of kids performing familiar activities like sleeping, eating, playing, scribbling attract toddlers most
- Books with only pictures and no words prompt them both visually and cognitively and encourage them to weave their own stories
- Books with interesting textures like board book, vinyl book and cloth book are interesting
- Books with simple text and good rhythm are adored more
- Toy-like books that may move or pop-up
- Books with micro stories which can be finished within 5-10 minutes
- Books with happy ending stories
- Books with actions and pictures
- Books with stories that have funny words or sounds like ‘Bzzz.. went the honey bee’
- Books with repetitive sounds or words like Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do you see?
Books are fun and help kids develop skills. Apart from other toys, child care learning materials should include books. Child Care providers should make reading books an important part of their early childhood education curriculum.
Have more tips to add to the list? Please share it with us in the comment box below. We’ll incorporate your valuable suggestion(s).
Happy Feet is a product by StudMonk EdTech. It is a comprehensive child care management app for directors to connect and communicate with parents and staff, seamlessly.